15 September 2010

Cheers to a quarter Century

I just got home from having our typical Wendesday night dinner with the priests...amusing that, that is something that is routine for me! This Wednesday dinner consisted of our typically cheese and wine hour, but was also special because April our boss from the States is here joining us and also because we celebrated my birthday (which is tomorrow). As the priests, April and my roommates sang happy birthday and I made my wish I couldn't help but take a moment to think.

Tomorrow I turn 25

25 is one of those mile maker ages in life; one that when you are young you apply a significance to. I used to think that turning 25 defined independence or maturity, responsibility or adulthood. Realistically all I can do now is rent a car in the USA, yet I live in South Africa and could probably have rented a car here ages ago.

I remember being younger and living life between my house on 21 Fitch Ave and Beckys on 21 North Street. Her, Kayla and I spent hours making up dances, collecting berries, riding bikes, making wedding cakes out of sand and planning our lives. [By the time I was 22 I thought I'd be married, 24 own a home and 25 have twins...all the important things in life]

I remember living in Vermont turning 16, my Mom took me to get my license. I remember thinking I was SOOOO old. I remember living in Chelmsford Townhouse and turning 21. Everyone got dressed up and took me out to eat and then the big girls took me out on the town for a night of shenanigans.

And now here I am years later. I'm living in South Africa, I'm surrounded by landscapes, sun rises and sun sets that take my breath away each day. I've been introduced to cultures, a language and a way of living that is so far beyond the scope I had when I was a daydreaming 10 year old. I've made friends and I've made family. I'm not married nor do I have children. I haven't started or finished Graduate School I don't own a house or even an apartment for that matter and I have no real idea of what I'm doing come December 2010, but I am content.

Reflecting on where I've been in the last 25 years - where I want to go - who I've met - who I've yet to meet, makes me realize how much of my life, the world and myself I've yet to experience.

Tomorrow I'll wake up and be 25, I'll carry out my day at the AIDS center just like any other Thursday and then Friday I will get up with my roommates at 3am and drive to the border of Botswana and will be on a Safari all weekend...I mean you might as well turn a quarter century in style right?

No comments:

Post a Comment