11 October 2010

fancy a lil tug o' war

A few weekends ago we spent a full Saturday at St. Theresa's with the boys for their annual sports day. We arrived and our car was canvassed by a sea of red, green, yellow and blue shirts. On typical days at St. T we assist the boys with their homework. Once homework is complete, if there is time we play with them outside. Saturday we were able shed our authoritative homework helper roles and instead play all day. As soon as the teams began chanting back and forth I reverted back to childhood joined in the friendly fun. I cannot remember the last time that I have laughed more or for such an extended period of time. Watching the boy’s attempt to maneuver an orange around the circle using only their necks and chins was beyond comical. I felt like a proud mother seeing the older boys demonstrate how to complete each activity to the younger boys; their patience was heartwarming. Watching the two ages bound by string and determination during the three legged race was hysterical.


The field behind the home was turned into an abundance of sack races, cones for soccer dribbling exercises and an obstacle course for jump rope competitions.


The day concluded with a tug of war between the teams and then we all joined together for a BBQ style lunch. Day after day I have found that it is impossible to leave St. Theresa’s without a smile on my face. Because despite whatever horrendous circumstances brought the boys to the home, or however frustrated and impatient they get with me as I explain homework, or however many times I have to remind them that kicking - pinching - hitting - or biting each other is not acceptable - at the end of the day they are a part of a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment