24 November 2010

Two weeks.

In two weeks I will be climbing into a big ole Boeing 777 headed for home.

Saying that sentence is easy and hard at the same time. It seems fake. I'm a mix of emotions; happy to see my family and my friends that I have missed so much, sad to be leaving a land and people that I have fallen so deeply in love with. I'm excited at the opportunities that await me, yet terrified that for once I don't have a structured "plan" of what comes next.

South Africa has seeped its way into my soul. It has captured me and I'll be leaving a large part of my heart here.
-Some will stay with with the Home Based Care Ladies and Nurses at Hillcrest AIDS Centre who, despite a language barrier have guided me through the hardest and most physically and emotionally draining days of my life.
-A large piece will stay with my former patients - those who have passed away and shown me what it means to have unending strength and to die with dignity and those who are living and have become a source of hope and some of the most genuine friends I have known and will ever known.
-Part will stay with the Woza Moya staff - Claudia, Paula, Kerry and Gogs who have taken me in as one of their own family members; showering me with love, attention and more sleepovers than I could ever have dreamed of.
-Some will stay with the Reception staff - Skhumbuzo, Julie, Daniella and Louise who are constantly encouraging me to be myself and giving me opportunities to do so.
-Part will stay with my neighbors the priests and sisters who have acted in lieu of family and let me "borrow" food and wine whenever my refrigerator is bare.
-A huge chunk will stay with my St. Theresa boys, each who have melted my heart on a consistent basis this year.
-And another huge chunk will stay with my South African friends; Wade, Andrew, Mart, Matt, Claire, Claire, Rich, Will, Adam, Jeff and Gordo who have given us a social life, shown us the ins and outs of Durban and unconditionally loved us.

I'm truly at a crossroad of thoughts: somewhere North of rhyme and reason just South of details and structure slightly West of convention and customs and East of old and new.

No comments:

Post a Comment